Sunday, August 30

Only three wings to fly.





A few weeks ago I waited patiently for hours hoping for a dragonfly to stop long enough for me to photograph it. No such luck.. but the following morning, I found this young thing floating in my daughter's pool. As some of you know, I have a thing for insects, (as you can see here, here, and here and most definitely HERE) and take great pleasure in capturing their details with my camera. So, it's not perched delicately on a leaf as most photos of these fabulous fliers are, but it still made me happy none the less.
In high school, our art teacher had a bird's wing in her desk and several other oddities hanging around for us to draw if we so chose. Most of the kids didn't get it and really thought her to be quite odd. I get it, I understand her... strange after all these years to recall that. I feel badly for her now. By high school most people have discovered whether or not they have an artistic eye. Most didn't, and I assume she is still there suffering the same treatment by those who have their artistic eye closed quite tightly.
xoxo~
Abbie

10 comments:

Kay R. said...

Dragonflies are personal faves of mine. I find them somewhat elegant. Your photos are so interesting, especially the close up of the wings. Such intricate detail! Beautiful!

Miss Sandra said...

Poor sweet dragonfly. I am a lover of all dragonflies and damselflies. I spent the summer hoping to catch a glimpse of a dragonfly around Harmonie House...no such luck. :(
I was however blessed to catch sight of many in a few other places.
*sigh* Hope you had a lovely summer.
Sandra

Mike Robertson, CDT said...

Hi Abbie,

Amazing photos - Do you use a macro lens? I've been picking away at a photo course to improve my photographic passion - detail nature shots much like you post.

Mike

homespun1 said...

your dragonfly is just beutiful although I feel a little sad that it is missing one of it's wings.

Anonymous said...

I love your bugs. Keep hunting!

Vee said...

They really are quite lovely when one takes a closer look. I've avoided them like the plague because I was told that they darn liar's lips shut and I knew that I was a liar. Wonder if there is any way to share with your former teacher what you shared here. I know that she would love to hear it. Hope that you've been enjoying these lovely days!

... Paige said...

good to see that I am not the only one that will pick up the occasional dead

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh you captured her elegantly here. Beautiful!

Honorablyfallen said...

The dragonfly is beautiful! I know what you mean about the art teacher.. I too had the pleasure of such a teacher I secretly enjoyed her uniqueness As the other students laughed behind her .. I still talk to that teacher for she helped me find myself in a sea of sameness. What a fabulous blog entry!

_Sarahlynn
http://centuryoldhome.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Wow, fascinating up close. I want a macro lens. Maybe for Christmas. I love it against the newsprint. Very cool photos,as always.
XO,
Tammy