Friday, November 21

Two Sides to Every Button...

The next time you work on an art piece, scrapbook or greeting try looking at the other side of things.


Take a look at the back side of your buttons.
I love the forgotten bits of fabric and thread that sometimes get left behind.



Each worn hook and hole has so many stories to tell.



The back of my button with the clovers is stamped 1883.
I didn't notice that until this photo shoot.



Don't forget broken buttons, they have a story too. You can tell what a button is made from once they are broken. Vegetable ivory or glass.


The back of shell buttons have so much more texture than the front.



My favorite button in my collection is the broken jet glass button shown above. It is so tiny and the broken side sparkles fiercely in the light.



Above is a close up of a vegetable ivory button, split open by time. You'd never know that under that dark exterior is a pale center! There are after all, at least two sides to every button.


9 comments:

Vee said...

Wonderful post...you write so lyrically about buttons that it's easy to tell that you enjoy and even love them. I'll look at my button collection more carefully the next time I have the jars dumped...

Kathleen Grace said...

You have a beutiful collection Abbie! I think all buttons are beautiful, broken, grungy, you name it. They all have a little personality and beauty of their own.

Charlene said...

WOW you have some great buttons! No wonder you are the Button Queen! Thank you sharing your photos. I am having trouble finding goodies like yours. It makes me want to try harder. Oh where is Grandma's button jar of old??????

Ces Adorio said...

Wowie! That is a lot of buttons. You are right. The older and antique buttons were works of art, unlike the factory mass produced plastic buttons from China. I love the brass buttons with intricate carvings. I save all the buttons that come with the suits I buy. They are contained in a crytal stem glass on my vanity.

Ces Adorio said...

By the way, I could say the same :)

"~I love the Met in NYC.~I love History. ~I forget lots of things-names, faces, what I just said, phone messages. ~I have no regrets-every step (good or bad) has brought me to this moment, and it's marvelous. ~I love making my children laugh- most of all I love it when they make me laugh...
"

marmee said...

abbie,
this is my first time here but boy am i glad i fell into your site. i love your profile. it is what i feel just not so able to articulate. i love buttons and try changing out boring ones for something with interest. i scrapbook with them add them to cards, etc...
i even like some of the music you are playing/well thanks for such an interesting post.

Anke Martin said...

What an awesome photo shot of buttons, you really can hear and see your button passion.....I enjoyed every photo!!!! Enjoy taking more photos from your beautiful buttons collection!
Smiles, Anke;)

ELLIE said...

LOVE love love your buttons - what a beautiful way to describe them...
thanks for sharing a look at your collection - just so interesting and beautiful!!!
Have an awesome weekend!!
-Ellie

Anonymous said...

I love the way you put your thoughts into images. My Ragmores would find themselves pretty darn lucky to happen upon such a wonderful set of buttons (buttons are jewels and currency where they come from)