Friday, June 27

More Mantels...

The fireplaces were a huge factor when my husband and I built our home. A three story New England colonial, it had to have fireplaces. the home plans actually called for three, but the budget didn't allow for it, and one wall in the great room had to house the TV, so we have two hearths to warm our tootsies at. The decorating of said mantels has had me stumped for two+ years. We'll start in the 'formal' living room, that currently houses nothing more than a beat up leather couch, tons of built in bookcases and a Disney princess castle. Yes, a castle. In my living room. Aren't I the luckiest girl? another house to clean, inside my big house.
The walls are red. A deep saturated red that I absolutely love. We are still waiting the funds for curtains, I have my heart set on a red and off white toile, country scene. With 6, 6 foot windows its gonna be while.


Isn't the pear topiary fun? I found that at HomeGoods the other day for $2. You can't even get a good coffee for that anymore!


In a huge contrast is the kitchen fireplace mantel. Bright and cool it feels very different. The boat and 'birds on sticks' were other HomeGoods finds. I thought that they 'worked' with the loon print hanging on the wall. Not my first choice, but the man pays the bills so he can put whatever he wants on the walls.






So, there you have it, the hearths of my home. One red, one white. One warm, one cool.

6 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Abbie, I think they're BOTH beautiful! I love the items you've placed to complement the artwork....and I can so see a red toile in your family room with that gorgeous wall color! Wishing you a wonderful weekend, xxoo, Dawn

Tara said...

Abbie

Glad to see you writing again wehn you can! Love the mantels...rainy days I'd read in one room, sunny another!

tea time and roses said...

Hello Abbie!

Your mantels are beautiful, as is your home! I so enjoy reading your lovely blog!

Smiles...

Beverly

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Sweetie .... I feel awful that I haven't been by! My RSS feed did not show you had posted anything since May 15th ..... then all of a sudden there you were and when I checked, I saw I had missed so much. I am off to catch up! ((hugs)) Rosie

Anke Martin said...

Your home is so inspirational!!!!! Thanks for sharing the great fotos. Enjoy the summer with your family, smiles, Anke ;)

Mary said...

Wow, first of all, BEAUTIFUL fireplaces! They are beautifully proportioned. Love that little chair in the living room, too. ANd of course, red is my fave color. :)

I think the mantel decoration is perfect, too. Love the old books, and that beautiful wooden dough bowl, or is it a treen? Anyway, it's gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing, Abbie!
xoxo,
Mary