Thursday, June 5

My Maternal Grandparents...


Clara Hale

Elmer

Second sailor from the left. Isn't he just dashing?

He passed away at age 40 from a massive heart attack, leaving my grandmother with 4 children to raise on her own. She never remarried. Clara would write to him in her journals, and I know the day she passed away (39 years later) was probably the happiest of her life, as she could finally see him again.

The last few years she suffered from Alzheimer's. It was a truly sad love story.

Many years later, my son was born the day my grandfather died.

1 comment:

amanda said...

Isn't it wonderful - how we all connect? My grandfather died right before I found out I was pregnant with Morgan. She was born on his birthday the following year.

There is life... even in death.

Amanda:)