Thursday, January 24

Frosting! and Pea Soup???

I love Frosting!


First I have to put a 'shout out' to my friend Amanda who has a wonderful Etsy shop, yet to be discovered and truly appreciated! Lovelies abound, and also, she just gave birth to the cutest little girl you've ever seen! Her birthday is in two days so I thought I 'd pass along the good word and send you in her direction, please stop by her shop, Frosting, and take a peek around. As a stay at home mother, myself, I know how hard it is to start a business and keep the momentum going. Also, her blog is wonderful place to stop, peek and visit.

♥ Happy Birthday Amanda!

Abbie's Split Pea Soup with a pat of butter..

OK, now for the pea soup.. I spent yesterday in the kitchen with my camera.. Uhh? I never thought I'd be taking pics of my food, especially pea soup (have you ever tried to make pea soup look good?) but I did (tried anyway!) and it was fun! I love pea soup! It warms my soul, fills me up, and just plain makes me feel good. I used a leftover ham bone (a 'must have' for really good soup..) and didn't follow this recipe very well.. I always start my cooking off using a recipe as a guide, but them stear away adding dashed of this and bits if this until it's just right.
3 C water
1 bag of dried split peas (washed and de-stoned)
1 14 oz can of chicken broth
1 ham bone with leftover meat
1/4 tsp marjoram
dash pepper
1 bay leaf
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 small onion
In large pot, combine water, hambone, chicken stock, peas, marjoram, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer, covered, for an hour. Remove ham bone and bay leaf. Add chopped carrots, onions, and celery. (add more water if too thick) Simmer, covered for 30-40 minutes unitl veggies are tender. Cut off leftover meat off bone and add to the pot. Leave on your stovetop until it is mushy and.. green! Serve with nice, crusty bread and butter. Butter in the soup and butter on the bread!
You'd think I was Paula Dean!
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Looks delish Abbie !

Yum Yum , and my belly is rumbling !! ;o)

xx

amanda said...

Oh, Abbie! You are so wonderfully kind! Thank you, Thank you!!!

And your soup looks so yummy! I love pea soup - it's one of my favorites! I can't wait to try your recipe!

Anke Martin said...

Hi Abbie, we had bean soup yesterday too, my mum made it. Sure tastes good. Great fotos from the veggies and the beans!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.